Recent comments

• 3 weeks 2 days ago
    John McKenna
    St Therese's 1949

6th from the left in the back row is Roger McKenna who moved to St Keirans in Moe that year.

• 3 weeks 2 days ago
    John McKenna
    First timber Railway Station at Yallourn Opening 1922

A bit later I feel. The N class loco's were introduced in 1926. This is a photo of my grandfather Monty McKenna and staff at the Yallourn Station approx mid 40's. Monty was assigned to Yallourn from approx 1942 until he retired in 1950. I don't know all of the persons pictured but here are some:
    Top row L-R E G (Ted) Clarke, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown.
    Bottom Row L-R Chris Sparkes, Wilf Peters, Jack Collins, Tom Kennedy, Monty McKenna, Cliff Montague

I have another photo containing most of these personnel which I will post.

• 4 weeks 20 hours ago
    David Ferguson
    Tassie Trip 1964

And maybe Chris Evans between me and the teacher.
    Photo taken at Tarraleah?

• 4 weeks 21 hours ago
    David Ferguson
    Tassie Trip 1964

That's me next to Geoff Barnes. Teacher waving at the back.

• 5 weeks 4 days ago
    oldfart
    Men in Coats - maybe at the Races?

5th from left definitely Roy Latta.

• 5 weeks 6 days ago
    Janina Gorbal
    Yallourn Tech School YTS - 1962 - Form 3CD

2nd row
    Rick Boskma 3rd from right :)

• 10 weeks 3 days ago
    colin nash
    Men in Coats - maybe at the Races?

4th from left, front row, with a hat is Tom Holt

• 10 weeks 3 days ago
    colin nash
    Men in Coats - maybe at the Races?

I think that is Tom Holt, with the hat on front row, 4th from the left, I think he had something to do with Moe races.

Nashy-Noble Park

• 10 weeks 6 days ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Reunion 2018 - Steve George - New Life Member of Yallourn Association

Well done Steve

• 11 weeks 1 day ago
    helen fischer -...
    Men in Coats - maybe at the Races?

2nd from left is not Bill Purvis - is Roy Latta who used to work at Purvis Hardware Yallourn store then when I worked at Purvis in Moe he worked in the Hardware there. Had a lot to do with the Moe Racing Club

• 13 weeks 16 hours ago
    Julie George
    Playground and Little Shop near Kindergarten - 1979

Uplands Road corner

• 13 weeks 4 days ago
    oldfart
    Yallourn Reunion - 3 March 2012 - Group 1956

3rd from right sitting, Marilyn Kennedy

• 13 weeks 4 days ago
    oldfart
    Men in Coats - maybe at the Races?

I think second from right is Bill Purvis from Moe.

• 19 weeks 3 days ago
    Paul Reader
    Brownies Camp, Guide House at Yarra Junction 1963

Next to my sister (step-sister) Jane - I was in Melbourne at boarding school by then. I think Jane should have been 1st year High School by then.

• 31 weeks 5 days ago
    Peter Hill
    Wolff

I thought that Mrs. Wolff was Lorna Wolff and their children Diane and Louise.

• 33 weeks 5 days ago
    Peter Hill
    1 Allambee Cres - Hill Family

Farewell to Peter and Helen Hill

• 34 weeks 21 hours ago
    Peter Hill
    1 Allambee Crescent

Great to see our old house relocated. The house was one of the last homes built in Yallourn and was a good sized three bedroom house. I remember their was a wood fired copper laundry trough in the back shed early on before an electric washing machine with rollers arrived in the house laundry.
    I nearly burnt the house down while playing with matches in the laundry where we kept the old newspapers, I got a firm belting for that. The SEC painters came every 7 years and painted the house in and out. We had the first SEC electric heat bank heater setup in the lounge for testing, on moving I then set it up in my house in Traralgon.

• 38 weeks 2 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grade 4A - 1964

Florella Dorey and Diane Prust

• 38 weeks 2 days ago
    Wendy Bodey
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grade 3B 1963

2nd Front is Wendy Bodey (rather than Christine)

• 39 weeks 2 days ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn High School YHS - 1960 - Form 1C

Can you explain where Gerry Mallee is when the back top two rows are merged?? Why didn't they just have straight lines - would be so much easier haha.

• 39 weeks 3 days ago
    ljmcd
    Yallourn High School YHS - 1960 - Form 1C

2nd back row, 6th in from student standing. Gerry Mallee

• 39 weeks 3 days ago
    ljmcd
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grades 2 & 3 - 1978

Front row 1st on left. Jeannette McDill

• 41 weeks 16 hours ago
    David Adams
    YPS 1950 Grade 1

Second on front Row, David adams

• 43 weeks 16 hours ago
    Brian Handley
    Yallourn Football Club YFC 1945-65 - The 1955 Grand Final - Yallourn vs Sale - Peter Cook and Jim Watt...by Roger Spaull

Thank you Roger Spaull and all those who contribute to this wonderful "Virtual Yallourn" site. I started going to Yallourn matches as a 6 yo, with my Father (Dave Handley). I would so look forward to Yallourn games on that famous No1 Oval and would never miss a match. I well remember that great 1955 side and the excitement build up around the grand-final. Even though I was personally very average (at being average) as a footballer (played for thirds in 1966/67), I loved the game and still do. As a resident of Geelong, I am a member and frequent attendee of Cats games at Kardinia Park. (a five-minute walk for me)
    I hold very fond memories of growing up in Yallourn and was a rusted-on supporter of the YFC. As an aside, as secretary of the Newborough FC, I played a pivotal role in negotiation efforts in 1973, to amalgamate the Yallourn & Newborough Football Clubs. The executives of both clubs had agreed on terms of amalgamation and all that remained was for joint (Executive) recommendation to be ratified at a Special General Meetings (SGM) of both clubs. Yallourn agreed but sadly, proposal was defeated at Newborough SGM, because some could not accept the name Yallourn/Newborough FC, even though this "not negotiable" position had been accepted by general committee of Newborough from the onset. To this day, I regret not having foreseen and negated this opposition before this well organised opposition scuttled deal. Yallourn FC, subsequently amalgamated with the Yallourn North FC, hence the new George Bates Oval.
    As a further aside, as a "filler" in my retirement, I have decided to write a Memoir and have referred to the Virtual Yallourn site many times to help fill in my memory blanks of those early years in Yallourn. This Memoir is arguably a tad pretentious, but I have kept a daily diary since first starting work at the SEC on 20th January 1964. My placement title is "1947" (year I was born) a philosophical memoir”. Whether it ever reaches fruition, is an open question, but it keeps my mind active and I am enjoying the nostalgic journey.

• 43 weeks 6 days ago
    stef0001
    Yallourn High School The Prefects Muck Up Day 1962 outside Room 13 - the Prefect's Room

I think it was Margaret Waterson - not Faye....(second left..............Dad was Principal of a school in Newborough, Moe, somewhere??