Recent comments

• 1 day 19 hours ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn High School YHS - 1960 - Form 1C

Can you explain where Gerry Mallee is when the back top two rows are merged?? Why didn't they just have straight lines - would be so much easier haha.

• 2 days 18 hours ago
    ljmcd
    Yallourn High School YHS - 1960 - Form 1C

2nd back row, 6th in from student standing. Gerry Mallee

• 2 days 19 hours ago
    ljmcd
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grades 2 & 3 - 1978

Front row 1st on left. Jeannette McDill

• 1 week 6 days ago
    David Adams
    YPS 1950 Grade 1

Second on front Row, David adams

• 3 weeks 6 days ago
    Brian Handley
    Yallourn Football Club YFC 1945-65 - The 1955 Grand Final - Yallourn vs Sale - Peter Cook and Jim Watt...by Roger Spaull

Thank you Roger Spaull and all those who contribute to this wonderful "Virtual Yallourn" site. I started going to Yallourn matches as a 6 yo, with my Father (Dave Handley). I would so look forward to Yallourn games on that famous No1 Oval and would never miss a match. I well remember that great 1955 side and the excitement build up around the grand-final. Even though I was personally very average (at being average) as a footballer (played for thirds in 1966/67), I loved the game and still do. As a resident of Geelong, I am a member and frequent attendee of Cats games at Kardinia Park. (a five-minute walk for me)
    I hold very fond memories of growing up in Yallourn and was a rusted-on supporter of the YFC. As an aside, as secretary of the Newborough FC, I played a pivotal role in negotiation efforts in 1973, to amalgamate the Yallourn & Newborough Football Clubs. The executives of both clubs had agreed on terms of amalgamation and all that remained was for joint (Executive) recommendation to be ratified at a Special General Meetings (SGM) of both clubs. Yallourn agreed but sadly, proposal was defeated at Newborough SGM, because some could not accept the name Yallourn/Newborough FC, even though this "not negotiable" position had been accepted by general committee of Newborough from the onset. To this day, I regret not having foreseen and negated this opposition before this well organised opposition scuttled deal. Yallourn FC, subsequently amalgamated with the Yallourn North FC, hence the new George Bates Oval.
    As a further aside, as a "filler" in my retirement, I have decided to write a Memoir and have referred to the Virtual Yallourn site many times to help fill in my memory blanks of those early years in Yallourn. This Memoir is arguably a tad pretentious, but I have kept a daily diary since first starting work at the SEC on 20th January 1964. My placement title is "1947" (year I was born) a philosophical memoir”. Whether it ever reaches fruition, is an open question, but it keeps my mind active and I am enjoying the nostalgic journey.

• 4 weeks 5 days ago
    stef0001
    Yallourn High School The Prefects Muck Up Day 1962 outside Room 13 - the Prefect's Room

I think it was Margaret Waterson - not Faye....(second left..............Dad was Principal of a school in Newborough, Moe, somewhere??

• 7 weeks 3 days ago
    stef0001
    Yallourn High School 1965 Rupert Harrison - teacher

He was our English teacher in Year 12 and his thinking was years beyond where we were. His experiences in the RAF/RAAF were of great interest to me. He had heaps of patience and it was not until after I left school I realised how good he was. His attempts to get big scores opening the batting for Yallourn CC were legend. He ran into some unwarranted an unnecessary flack over being mature and honest in the use of certain terms and phrases in the English course which others thought were not appropriate in relation to Year 12. This was my first taste of 'others' imposing their moral standards on us - which by today's standards- are quite laughable.

• 7 weeks 3 days ago
    stef0001
    YHS - 1961 - Toad Of Toad Hall Production

A dress rehearsal actually

• 9 weeks 6 days ago
    Brian Handley
    Yallourn Football Club 1945-1965 YFC - Des Madden & Jimmy Shaw - Footnotes re Alister Thorpe & friends - by Roger Spaull

• 12 weeks 21 hours ago
    Julie George
    Brownies Camp, Guide House at Yarra Junction 1963

Aah so Bernie, we went to the same Brownie camp together all those years ago. It was great to catch up with you at the Reunion in March. Next March 2018 is a bigger affair, more casual and overnight accommodation available - hope to see you there. Julie (Francis)

• 12 weeks 2 days ago
    Berny McLaughlin
    Brownies Camp, Guide House at Yarra Junction 1963

In the second row from the front and second from the left is me, Bernadette McLaughlin.

• 16 weeks 1 day ago
    vergann
    Mitchell

Other children: Eldest - Barraclough (Barry) - Born 1935, Michael - Born 1952, Peter - Born 1955
    The family moved to Yallourn from Morwell in 1950 and moved to Newborough in 1962/3
    Clement died in 1966, Grace moved the family to Kew in Melbourne at the end of 1967
    Grace died in 2004, Barry in 2014, Maree & Jim in 2016.

• 17 weeks 3 days ago
    JT
    Boy's Soccer - Under 8 Premiers 1969

Maurie

• 18 weeks 3 days ago
    David Adams
    Police Station (showing the latest model pursuit vehicle)

Photo taken by Tom Adams

• 18 weeks 5 days ago
    Brendan Brooker
    Mitchell

Christina Mitchell is actually Jill Christine Mitchell (my mother). Maree was the youngest child, both from the marriage of Robert(Bob) & Ellen(Nelly/Nell). In addition to David and Russell there was another brother, Des, as well as another sister, Josie (Josephine), all children of Ellen from a previous marriage.

• 19 weeks 4 days ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Grade 4

Thanks Julie tc

• 19 weeks 4 days ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn Hospital Nurses 1970 - LVCH

Great photo - can you name the girls? Julie

• 19 weeks 4 days ago
    Julie George
    Grade 4

Hi Trev - sadly it's such a small resolution, it cannot be enlarged further. Julie

• 19 weeks 4 days ago
    Dianne Lye
    Yallourn Hospital Nurses 1970 - LVCH

Nurse graduation 1970

• 19 weeks 4 days ago
    Dianne Lye
    Lye

Children: Peter John Lye, Dianne Christine Lye, Jeffery Arthur Lye and Janette Merilyn Lye

• 19 weeks 5 days ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Grade 4

Trying to enlarge but cannot , any help me with it ,think my brother John maybe in this photo . regards Trevor

• 25 weeks 5 days ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    FROM THE NEWSPAPERS - 1928 - The Opening of the Yallourn Hotel

Enjoyed a few drinks there and Lunchs ,Sister in law had her wedding reception there .

• 26 weeks 5 days ago
    Susan Lendon
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grades 2 & 3 - 1978

Back row fourth from left in white jacket Bronwen Sawyer

• 27 weeks 1 day ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    12 Westbrook Rd - McColl Family

Robert is alive and living in Newborough

• 27 weeks 1 day ago
    westbrook_12
    12 Westbrook Rd - McColl Family

Yes, it is Robert Enguell with his curly haired retriever, name long forgotten. Where is Robert these days?