Recent comments

• 3 years 21 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn Soccer Club - 1968 YSC

Hey Sean...you wouldn't have a better copy of this photo perhaps? They're easy to upload if you do, or email to me - julie@yallourn.org and I'll upload to replace this rather fuzzy one. Julie

• 3 years 21 weeks ago
    seanmackeown
    Yallourn Soccer Club - 1968 YSC

I believe the year was 1968.
    The three gentlemen L/R are Alan Ellis, Frank MacKeown and Mick Duke.
    The four boys L/R are ? Sean MacKeown, Gery Young and Trevor McStay.

• 3 years 21 weeks ago
    oakhudmac
    Yallourn General Store (prior to Rockman's)

Man in back row third from right with pullover on is Robert Kerr of Southway

helen fischer -...
    Form 3S

front row Robyn Baillie (Lexine Baillie's little sister) behind her 2nd front left long blonde hair Elaine Coad then behind Robyn on right side with glasses is Linda Gurnery

Denis Meany
    Form 3S

Form 3S Teacher was Mrs P. Wallace

Back Row: Vera M Milojevic, Sandra Morris, Lorraine Ralston, ?, ?, Bronwyn Wallman.

4th Row: ?, Vicky Ray, Sharon Sullivan, Lorraine Swindon, ?.

Middle Row: Elain Coad, ?, Wendy Wright, ?, ?, ?.

2nd Row: ?, Lisa Davis, Ann Marie Sneddon, Rosemary Fowler.

Front Row: ?, ?, Mrs P. Wallace, ?, Nola McAuliffe.

lmd
    Woorabinda

The lady with Jean is Betty Armstrong (married name Grunberg)

Kevin Brogan
    13 Tanjil Crescent

The Douglas Family lived in Narracan Avenue in the 60's between Strezlecki Rd and Church Street

Kevin Brogan
    2 Centre Way Dr Andrew

Hi Linda,
    70 Railway Avenue is the place that my Mother is certain was the used as the fever hospital, however, I dont believe it was used a general hospital, as my Mums younger sister (Thelma) was born in the Morwell Hospital ( now St Hilarys nursing home) - Thelma was born late 1920's / early 1930's ( I think she is 81now). My Mother clearly remembers walking down to 70 Railway to visit her sister Rewa in the Fver Hospital. Mum thinks she was around 5 at the time which would make it around 1929. Mum confirmed with Rewa (today) that she was in the Fever Hospital at 70 Railway after being bought back to Yallourn from Sale Hospital. They lived in Railway Avenue as kids.

LindaB
    9 Tanjil Crescent

In the 1940s and 1950s this was Harry and Lil Smith and their family. The children were Vera, Robyn and Deanna. Harry was a tinsmith with the SEC.

LindaB
    8 Tanjil Crescent

Foley family definitely there in 1956, the first in the area to have a TV. The Atkinsons came after them.

LindaB
    13 Tanjil Crescent

This was Alan Douglas and his family in the 1940s, 1950s and maybe 1960s. Children were Neville and Graeme.

Nicholas
    4 Park Crescent

The third house that we lived in. I left this place in 1964 after I married Margaret Duxbury on Dec 5 1964 My sister Marion also left a couple of years later after getting married to George Payne. My Mother died several years after that, My farther went into a unit in Newborough later on.

Nicholas
    23 Broadway West

Lived here from birth until we moved to 6 Boola Cres.

Nicholas
    Arthur Nicholas

Update re family. My Father was Leonard Arthur Nicholas, My Mother Ettie Victoria Nicholas, I had a Sister Marion Joy Nicholas I am the Son, Arthur Leslie Nicholas. We lived in several houses in Yallourn, 23 Broardway West, 6 Boola Cres, 4 park Cres. My father worked at the Yallourn Briq Factory. I started work for the SEC in 1956 as apprentice Electrial Fitter.

Pauline Kitson
    32 Railway Avenue

My grandparents Sinon Patrick Hannon and his wife Hannah May Evelyn nee Waters lived in 32 Railway Avenue from end of 1920's to late 1940's. He was the time keeper at the SEC.
    Seeing as the Barton family think this house number was later changed to 10 how do we get this information correct?
    Pauline

LindaB
    2 Centre Way Dr Andrew

Hi Kevin,

There is a photograph of 70 Railway Ave in Doctor Andrew's collection, and I cannot work out why he kept that photograph unless he had a connection to it. It is in his 1926 envelope, and building the hospital proper is in his 1929 envelope. Could 70 Railway Ave been used as a hospital before the larger one was built? Could several have been used at various times?

http://www.virtualyallourn.com/node/3649 for 70 Railway Ave (although well before the 1926 one I am looking at)

Kevin Brogan
    2 Centre Way Dr Andrew

My understanding is that the Fever Hospital was one of the double story houses on the corner of Railway Avenue and Northway (at the traffic lights). My Auntie (Rewa Barton/Handley) was admitted to it as a young child with Scarlet Fever. The fever Hospital House was a different design to the one at old Gippstown.

Theodor.Haberl
    32 Narracan Avenue

Theodor and my wife Aileen lived in this house from July 1964 to April 1966 with our son Michael born 8 of November 1965 .

LindaB
    14 Fernhill

Although close, this is not the correct plan for 14 Fernhill. This is the other type of attic house, pre-electric stoves, as a wood-fired in the kitchen backed the fire in the living room. 14 Fernhill was designed for an electric stove, and the living room fireplace was on the opposite wall - see photo I have sent to Julie.

This is the house that was moved to Old Gippstown, and holds the collection from the Estate of Dr J.M.Andrew.

jodierainbow
    34 Narracan Avenue

This is the first house I ever lived in, has made me very interested in what Yallourn was like. Always have has some interest more so now that this website is up and running!!!

LindaB
    2 Centre Way Dr Andrew

The two houses that are shown here are actually the genuine (not replica) house from 14 Fernhill, moved to Old Gippstown to hold the collection from the Estate of Dr Andrew. It was used for a time just after it was built as a Fever Hospital during an outbreak. Dr Andrew and his family never lived in this house, and his house was a single-storey brick house, on which he built and extension.

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Ian Barrons is on Kevin Gordons' right (to the left as you look at the picture)

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

I am still getting my left confused with my right - David (Stick) Preston is on the extreme right not extreme left - sorry about that

• 3 years 23 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Baseball Club

I dont know much about the Club, but I do know that Peter Scott and Frank Rushton were very active members

• 3 years 23 weeks ago
    carole kelly
    St Therese's School Class 3 & 4

Back Row: Darren Fanning,Lisa Ascolese, Leanne Goldsworthy, ? , Alannah Clayton, ?, ?, Clare Murphy, Janet Smart, ? , Carole Kelly, (Paul?) Broche. Middle Row : Marcia Broche, Katie Murphy, Kerrin Larsen, Cathy D'Alterio, Linda Tarraran, Lisa Irwin, Dianne Kelly. Front Row : John Bridgeman, Peter Broberg, Michael Irwin (holding sign), Shaun Bridgeman, Peter Heriban.