Recent comments

Pauline Tangey
    Brownies Camp, Guide House at Yarra Junction 1963

Girl, blonde hair, not wearing a hat, top row 4th l-r looks like Barbara Kelly.

Inge Meldgaard
    YPS 1958 Grade 6B

No, I don't think we began school in Yallourn until 1959. She was three years ahead of me, so would have been in fourth grade, I think, when I was in first grade.

footy (not verified)
    Scouts - Narracan Falls

The Tall gut with the glasses is Michael Larkin Terrys Brother from Hernes Oak

Pauline Tangey
    YPS 1958 Grade 6B

Inge, is 2nd row 3rd from left your sister Tove?

Inge Meldgaard
    Grade 6

Front row, second from left: Rosemary Goddard. fourth from right: Jennifer Baird
    Second row, third from right: Colin Fulton. first on left: Graham Dennis (I think)
    Back row, far right: Peter Glasper. fourth from right: David Thompson

Inge Meldgaard
    Lerche

Name of Husband should be: Niels Anker Melgaard Lerche
    Name of Wife should be: Elna Marie Lerche

My father died in 2002, and my mother in 2006. They moved from Yallourn in 1971 to Traralgon, and then to Mulgrave, in Melbourne, in 1979.
    Dad worked as a boiler house engineer, first in the old Yallourn Power Station (1959), and then in Morwell, until he retired in 1977. Tove now uses the name' Melgaard-Lerche', and I (Inge) use the name 'Meldgaard', which was part of my grandfather's name (Meldgaard Lerche). My father's use of 'Melgaard' was a spelling mistake on his christening certificate. My grandfather's farm on the mainland of Denmark was called 'Meldgaard', after his mother's maiden name.

westbrook_12
    10 Westbrook Road

Betha and Percy Deacon, son Arthur. They came to Yallourn from Leicestershire England. Mr Deacon kept a very good garden and was particularly proud of his roses. Mrs Deacon was a kindly lady and was a good friend of my mothers. Arthur studied at Melb Uni and settled in Hobart where Mr and Mrs Deacon retired to.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    14 Westbrook Road

Up until the early 1960's, Bill and Trixie Spicer lived at 14 Westbrook Rd. I think that prior to Westbrook Rd, that they lived in Office Place. Bill was a carpenter and Mrs Spicer was an excellent pianist and played regularly with local bands. They did not have any children. After retirement they moved to Williamstown where, I think, they had lived previous to Yallourn. They had family in Williamstown. Their garden always looked perfect. They were very good neighbours.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    McColl

My father, Ron McColl came to Yallourn during the Depression. He was a painter and worked for the SEC until he retired in 1967. His position at retirement was the supervisor of building maintenance for Yallourn, Yallourn North and the SEC houses in Newborough.
    My Mother, Vi, moved to Yallourn (South Camp) from Sale in 1923. Guess she saw Yallourn come and go. She loved the place.

Upon dad's retirement they moved to 14 Mardan St East Newborough. After dad died in 1977, mum moved to a unit in Moe then finally Graceview (Moe) until she passed away in 1996.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    Winstanley

Mr Winstanley was involved in the St John's Ambulance. He used to train cadets, of which I was one, along with the likes of Ken Hender. I do not believe that he and Mrs Winstanley had any children. I remember him fondly, he was a good man.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    19 Church Street

The Backman family lived in this house during the 1950s and into the 1960s. Bill Backman and his wife, there were 2 girls and 3 boys. John Backman was a state champion amateur boxer and a good friend of my brother, John McColl. Mr Backman ran the Boys Club which was located behind the swimming pool near the scout hall. He was a good bloke.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    Form Captains YTS 1959

On Winton McColls left is his cousin, David Dickson, from Morwell, the brother of Judy who attended YHS a few years earlier.

westbrook_12
    Form Captains YTS 1959

The photo is of the form captains YTC 1959.

Winton McColl

westbrook_12
    YPS 1958 Grade 6B

Between Peter Charleston and "Bill" Abery is either Chris or Doug Robertson. Think it's Chris. Doug is in the next row on Peter Pooley's left. The Robertson's lived opposite the pub. Mrs R made great pies and pasties which the boys and others sold at the pub. They later moved to Moe.
    Yes it's not Wally Abery nor Bill, but Peter Abery. Bill was Peter's nickname - think that Bill was his father. John White could confirm as they lived in the same street.
    Next to Bert Hopman is Barry Davis - from Hernes Oak.
    Is it Alan Ashmore or Graham Coburn?

• 5 years 21 weeks ago
    Pauline Tangey
    Grade 6

Inge Lerche has a story about her journey to Australia. Really interesting. Google Inge Lerche.

• 5 years 21 weeks ago
    Margaret Welshe
    Needham

Ivy and Bill Needham were my godparents. They didn't have any children.
    Ivy (helped by Bill) did florist work at home. They made the arrangement and wreaths for most of the weddings and funerals in the town (Margaret Welshe (Cain))

• 5 years 21 weeks ago
    Margaret Welshe
    58 Parkway

I was born in the Yallourn Hospital in 1946 and lived at 58 Parkway until I went to Burwood Teachers College in 1964.
    We were married in the Yallourn Presbyterian Church in 1969 (lived in Melbourne at the time).
    I January 1970 Doug and I moved to Toowoomba, Qld.
    My mother, Pat, moved to Toowoomba after Dad died

• 5 years 21 weeks ago
    skystruc
    YTC - 1967 Form 2B

Top Row 3: Robert (Busty) Dean
    Middle Row 5: Steven Heath
    Front Row 1: Chris Folley 4: John Swankhousen 9: Steven Millet

I remember Joe Italiano had acouple of hot sisters Polly and Georgina.

• 5 years 22 weeks ago
    hydetft
    Scouts - Rovers

As a scout back in the mid 50's I loved going up to Mt Erica with the Schole's Victor and his father George. So much so I always hoped that ther was snow. To get to the huts it was a feat to be believed as we had to carry everything that we wanted for that time. Yes the huts were basic but comfortable but the views from mushroom rock was totally out of this world.

• 5 years 22 weeks ago
    hydetft
    Grade 6

Geeeeeeeeeeez I wish I was as young as my brother then I would own up to it 5 from the left in the second row is Neville Hyde

• 5 years 22 weeks ago
    barry callinan
    Trevorah

Wife better known as Molly

• 5 years 22 weeks ago
    barry callinan
    Ashmead

Husband was more commonly known as Phil

• 5 years 22 weeks ago