Recent comments

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    Pauline Tangey
    YHS Girls at Swimming Sports

This photo is not 1962. It's probably 1966 or 1967, at perhaps Yallourn Swimming school sports.

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    Pauline Tangey
    Debutants - 1966

Stephen Reed is top row extreme left.

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    thunderbird7
    28 Tanjil Crs - Gordon Family

Hi Virtual Yallournites. Just some more " neighbours " I remember in Hazelwood Crest. Odds: 3 Taylor, 5 ? , 7 Whitbourne , 9 Snowden (Neil Snowden went on to play goalie during the 90's in our national olympic hockey team) , 11 Tchurlow , 13 Vickory , Lane , 15 Sidebottom , 17 ? ,
    19 ? , 21 Peters , 23 Mounters , then a bit hazy....... Evens: 2 Smith ,
    4 Beel , 6 Gloss , 8 Evans / Lobley , 10 Abery , 12 Parsons , Green Space,
    14 White , 16 ? , 18 ? , 20 Ferguson , 22 ? , 24 ? , 26 Wilson , then the bush. Just discovered the VY site. Have spent all evening working through all the information and just loving all the photos and memorabilia. It's like a giant jigsaw and we are all adding pieces to a fantastic town, place to grow up and childhood memory. Keep it up everyone. Penny van Houts
    ( Gloss ).

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    bkenny
    Debutants - 1966

i recognise david ferguson (back-row 4th from right) and sandra prost blond to right of chapperone; that would make it 1966

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    bkenny
    Yallourn Baseball Club

I'm Brian Kenny. I was about 14 or 15 in 1964/65. Was in the YBC for about a season or two. Also played for YHS for years. Was very bad at it, but still luv the game and try to catch the world series on tv when I can

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    bkenny
    Form 1A

Pieta is dead-right, it's 1961 and I,m the "boy" (Brian Kenny) on the left in the 2nd back row next to Chris Evans - Gee, time-warp!

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    fran
    Yallourn High School YHS School Play - 1966

Geoff Browitt not Bart Milojevic

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    Oscarnia
    5 Boola Crescent

Wow, Dad! This is the plan of our house. Amazing.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Bjgoldy
    60s Woorabinda

Cheryl Wright, Tony Ireland & Mary Waterson

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Bjgoldy
    Form 1A

Girl behind Linda Nutt is Barbara McNair.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    leigh byron
    Norma Oliver

had 2 children Sheryl and Kim both are now up in Qld as is Norma

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    leigh byron
    Byron

Grandad used to live at and run the stables up past the scout hall.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    billmaxine
    Cougan

Chris,

Firstly apologies although I have 4 daughters until I logged on I had you down as a boy! We look forward to more of your comments, you have captured the thoughts of a lot of Yallourn residents. I was a "blow-in " who went to Yallourn High School. I married a Yallourn girl ( Maxine Humphrey) and both of us miss the chance to show our grandchildren Yallourn. Maxine's mum , Annie (Nan) Humphrey first came to Yallourn and lived in the Western Camp and after her marriage to Max Humphrey moved later to 69 Church Street leaving with their house in 1974 (approx) and moving it to Toongabbie.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    chris
    Cougan

Dad came to Yallourn in 1949 as part of the post-war workers influx. He had originally arrived in Australia from Scotland and worked for a short time on the Snowy Mountain scheme, but he and a couple of mates had heard of better money and working conditions South, and so they headed for Yallourn. John met Pat Embry at a dance in Hearne's Oak, and the rest as they say, is history. Mum and Dad have been married for over 60 years, and life is still entertaining them. My Grandfather, Wally Embry, had the tenancy of the house and as Pat was the only daughter of the family, she took over the mothering role of her 3 elder brothers and 2 younger brothers, after her mother died in 1946.

From all accounts, the house was always brimming with activity. If having 6 men in the house wasn't enough, there were always friends and neighbours dropping in to see if Mum was coping with the large household. Mum has mentioned many times how Mrs Vincent would pop down the lane and check on things, offering advice on meals and day to day tasks. Mrs Vincent was either a very good teacher, or Mum an excellent pupil, because my memories of growing up in the 50's are of apple pies fresh from the oven, and enormous quantities of preserved fruit from the plum trees we had in the back yard. Mum is certainly an exceptional cook. My only complaint was when she borrowed a meat press from Mrs Spittle (next door) and took up making pressed tongue. I can still see it in my mind today ugh!!!

Mum and Dad lived in Quarry St, Married Quarters for a short time before my brother was born, so it must have been between 1951 - 53. I don't have many memories of those days, but the family photos we have show my Aunty Georgie (Georgie Gilchrist) and my cousin Connie sitting on our front verandah. Georgie and Bill Embry lived in the Married Quarters too, and from all accounts, even though the facilities were limited, there was a great community spirit there. Mum remembers that there was one laundry block situated in the corner of the yard, between 4 houses. Because they were all new marrieds with children, it was necessary to use the laundry on a roster basis. One day was allotted exclusively to each household, and the other days were on a first come, first served basis. As you can imagine, with nappies and boiler suits in the wash, it was necessary to get up with the birds in order to secure the laundry on the free days.

Mum and Dad moved back in with Wally and the boys about 1953, and there we stayed until we left in September 1962. We have lived in Western Australia since 1963, and for all intents and purposes I should regard myself as a Sandgroper, but my heart is still in Yallourn. Silly isn't it? We should all have moved on, but Yallourn pulls at your heart strings, which is why this website is so successful. Thankyou for this opportunity. If you want to hear more, I have more to tell. Did I tell you I'm an Historian? Oh! you groan, doesn't she ever stop??

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    YPS 1966 Grade 5

Glenn Setches - middle row

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    chris
    Grade 2

front row, 2nd from left, Kay Lennon...Irene Rickman, Margaret Parry, Chris Cougan,.....Jane, Pamela Daddo
    middle row...Margot Wilson

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    chris
    Cougan

'Joan' Cougan was known as Pat (nee Embry). Johnny and Pat Cougan are my parents, children are, Christine, Paul and Kerry.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    YPS 1966 Grade 5

Back Row: ?, ?, ?, ?, John Watkinson, ?, Mark Hawken, ?, Alister Thorpe
    2nd Back: ?, Jenny Crookes, Jenny Watkinson, Wendy Wright, Sue Bussell,Susan Randall, Carol Fisher, Elaine Coad, Robyn Bailey
    Middle: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Robert Garnet, ?, Robert Garnett, ?, Richard Blake, Andrew McStay, ?
    Front: ?, Annette Long, Jenny Green, Linda Gurney, ?, Frances Miller, Jackie Eves, ?, Gillian Wood, Andrea Tilley

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Junior Soccer Club - Year Unknown

Scott Lee finished up playing AFL Football for Adelaide Crows

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Rod
    58 Latrobe Avenue

Newly weds Rod & Shirley McDonald from Bendigo moved into 58 in 1966. It was the smallest house on the largest block having at some time in the past, a fire station building at the back of the block. The house had been unoccupied for sometime and needed renovation but that happened gradually and they enjoyed their stay, moving on after son Brett was born at the Yallourn Hospital in 1969. The house plan above is slightly different from the 60's, at that time the Living Room was Bedroom 1 and Bedroom 1 was the living room with a briquette heater. Rod worked with Don Suckling, John Hooper and John Gallop at the Briquettte Sales Centre in the township. Shirley worked in administration with Rockmans.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Rod
    Yallourn Baseball Club

You're right, Rod C, Peter S & Frank R all played. I had the priviledge of playing with them in 1966-69. I have a full list of players of that era and a few photos. Once I find out how to load them I will post more information. Rod McDonald

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    markdal
    Yallourn Baseball Club

If memory serves me correct I think Rod Catchpole played for Yallourn

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Scout Hall

Kevin check yourself out in the Grade 2 - 1962, Grade 3 -1963 and Grade 5 - 1965 state school photos. Do you have a copy of Grade 1?

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    smithfj
    Scout Hall

Originally the scouts met at the old drill hall Cr Railway pde and Eastern Rd. This hall was burnt down during the 1944 bush fires. The scouts then met in a mess room just outside the gates at the Briquette factory and finally moved to the above location that was and old army hut

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    kevin Love
    51 Fairfield Avenue

My family was the only tennant of this house, from when my parents moved in, in the 40s till my mum moved out as a widow in around 1979?. There were my sisters Maureen & Eileen & myself. The house plans differed slightly. The chimney was on the left outer wall of the lounge & the front verandah faced to the left of the house toward the driveway, which ran down the left side of the house. Neighbours to the left were the Robbies, Montgomery & last tennant was Jack Bryant. A camelia shrub from the front yard was relocated to my parents in laws in Yallourn North & is still going strong. A lemon tree was relocated to my sisters at Orbost. The house was relocated to Dargo.