Recent comments

• 3 years 14 weeks ago
    LindaB
    14 Fernhill

Although close, this is not the correct plan for 14 Fernhill. This is the other type of attic house, pre-electric stoves, as a wood-fired in the kitchen backed the fire in the living room. 14 Fernhill was designed for an electric stove, and the living room fireplace was on the opposite wall - see photo I have sent to Julie.

This is the house that was moved to Old Gippstown, and holds the collection from the Estate of Dr J.M.Andrew.

• 3 years 14 weeks ago
    jodierainbow
    34 Narracan Avenue

This is the first house I ever lived in, has made me very interested in what Yallourn was like. Always have has some interest more so now that this website is up and running!!!

LindaB
    2 Centre Way Dr Andrew

The two houses that are shown here are actually the genuine (not replica) house from 14 Fernhill, moved to Old Gippstown to hold the collection from the Estate of Dr Andrew. It was used for a time just after it was built as a Fever Hospital during an outbreak. Dr Andrew and his family never lived in this house, and his house was a single-storey brick house, on which he built and extension.

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Ian Barrons is on Kevin Gordons' right (to the left as you look at the picture)

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

I am still getting my left confused with my right - David (Stick) Preston is on the extreme right not extreme left - sorry about that

Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Baseball Club

I dont know much about the Club, but I do know that Peter Scott and Frank Rushton were very active members

carole kelly
    St Therese's School Class 3 & 4

Back Row: Darren Fanning,Lisa Ascolese, Leanne Goldsworthy, ? , Alannah Clayton, ?, ?, Clare Murphy, Janet Smart, ? , Carole Kelly, (Paul?) Broche. Middle Row : Marcia Broche, Katie Murphy, Kerrin Larsen, Cathy D'Alterio, Linda Tarraran, Lisa Irwin, Dianne Kelly. Front Row : John Bridgeman, Peter Broberg, Michael Irwin (holding sign), Shaun Bridgeman, Peter Heriban.

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

I am pretty sure the little Guy at the extreme left of the top row is David ( Stick) Preston - he lived in Tanjil Cresent (not far from your family Julie)

Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Article

No its either 6 Dredge or 7 Dredge - 8 Dredge was a bucket Chain Dredge

billmaxine
    Yallourn Article

If that is No 8 Dredge ? Maxine's father, Max Humphrey was one of the first to operate it.

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

I think the boy immediately left of Kevin Gordon is Ian Barrons - the brother of Pat Barrons

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Nicholas is 3rd from the left -sorry. The big Guy in the middle (4th from left) is Peter Birrell (a Moe boy)

yallournboy
    13 Tanjil Crescent

The Horscrofts lived here for a while .

Julie George
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Hi Kevin...you have two names for boys 3rd from right in front row??

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    hydetft
    "Ordinary People, Extraordinary Town" - Page 6

Just a short note to let all know that Jim Evans passed away early this year. I had Jim staying with us on our little "Hyde-A-Way" property last November where we chatted contiuously about the past. RIP

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    yallournboy
    38 Fairfield Avenue

Hey this house is now 36 Austin Avenue Moe

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

I think the boy at the extreme right of the front row is Alan Guy. The boy 3rd from right in the front row is Nicholas Fernbach. I think the boy 3rd from the right in the front row is Colin Wiggins

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Form Captains YTS 1959

This Photo is not a Form Photo - I suspect it may be a House Photo. The people in the Photo are a mixture of age groups

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Back Row 2nd from left with dark hair Winton McColl

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    josie goodwin
    Form Captains YTS 1959

Middle Row, Second from Right Kevin Gordon

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    RayBeebe
    Scouts

It is Mike Larkin who is the Scouter at Narracan Falls camp. I was not there, but we had similar fun at Connan Park at CAMP 67, a District camp in January. We had a rotten fruit fight, with two boxes of ripe tomatoes from Wakefield's (?) greengrocery. Mike was the Scoutmaster of Herne's Oak Troop and later Asst SM at Yallourn. The other pics look like Scouts building a triangular trestle at one of the District SCOUTARAMA events we held in the 1960s. I was ASM 1st Yallourn through 1964, and then returned to the Valley as DSM Strzelecki in 1966.

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Boola Crescent Boys

Kevin Brogan (2 Boola), Rodney Hawken ( 4 Boola & 11 Boola) and Chris Evans ( 1 Boola) "gardening?" at 2 Boola

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    Shane Browne
    Yallourn Open Cut, Interconnecting Railway between Yallourn and Morwell

Now this photo brings back memories... Back in the early eighties I worked with a great team of people to repair and maintain these locomotives. I even remember this particular "loco", as they were affectionately called; it was a 90 Ton Siemens, which was easy to maintain and relatively reliable compared to the later model 120 Ton Siemens. I remember several incidents while working on a 2x5 Shift of these locos either colliding due to signal faults or driver error; but most were due to derailment at points.
    As a electrical tradesman, I remember being particularly fascinated with the Mercury Arc Rectifiers that use to supply 1500 Volts DC (sorry denis definately not 10,000V) to the overhead lines. When in operation, they would glow and hum intensley when loaded by a the many high torque direct wheel DC motors (Bogie Motors)... Have you seen a Plasma Ball operation? Well they displayed visual effect similar to that.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago