Recent comments

Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Junior Soccer Club - Year Unknown

Scott Lee finished up playing AFL Football for Adelaide Crows

• 3 years 37 weeks ago
    Rod
    58 Latrobe Avenue

Newly weds Rod & Shirley McDonald from Bendigo moved into 58 in 1966. It was the smallest house on the largest block having at some time in the past, a fire station building at the back of the block. The house had been unoccupied for sometime and needed renovation but that happened gradually and they enjoyed their stay, moving on after son Brett was born at the Yallourn Hospital in 1969. The house plan above is slightly different from the 60's, at that time the Living Room was Bedroom 1 and Bedroom 1 was the living room with a briquette heater. Rod worked with Don Suckling, John Hooper and John Gallop at the Briquettte Sales Centre in the township. Shirley worked in administration with Rockmans.

• 3 years 37 weeks ago
    Rod
    Yallourn Baseball Club

You're right, Rod C, Peter S & Frank R all played. I had the priviledge of playing with them in 1966-69. I have a full list of players of that era and a few photos. Once I find out how to load them I will post more information. Rod McDonald

• 3 years 37 weeks ago
    markdal
    Yallourn Baseball Club

If memory serves me correct I think Rod Catchpole played for Yallourn

helen fischer -...
    Scout Hall

Kevin check yourself out in the Grade 2 - 1962, Grade 3 -1963 and Grade 5 - 1965 state school photos. Do you have a copy of Grade 1?

smithfj
    Scout Hall

Originally the scouts met at the old drill hall Cr Railway pde and Eastern Rd. This hall was burnt down during the 1944 bush fires. The scouts then met in a mess room just outside the gates at the Briquette factory and finally moved to the above location that was and old army hut

kevin Love
    51 Fairfield Avenue

My family was the only tennant of this house, from when my parents moved in, in the 40s till my mum moved out as a widow in around 1979?. There were my sisters Maureen & Eileen & myself. The house plans differed slightly. The chimney was on the left outer wall of the lounge & the front verandah faced to the left of the house toward the driveway, which ran down the left side of the house. Neighbours to the left were the Robbies, Montgomery & last tennant was Jack Bryant. A camelia shrub from the front yard was relocated to my parents in laws in Yallourn North & is still going strong. A lemon tree was relocated to my sisters at Orbost. The house was relocated to Dargo.

smithfj
    Yallourn Baseball Club

My Father Ted Smith played Baseball at Yallourn the team was know as the tigers I can remember him in his uniform, he was a pitcher

smithfj
    1 Outlook Road

This was a new house in 1935 and the Smith family were the first to occupy it. The house was cut into the hill and had a good view of the town and works. A sleep out was added to the right hand side.

smithfj
    1 Outlook Road

The Smith family were the first to move into this home approx 1935 was brand new. A sleepout was added to the house on the right hand side .The house was cut into the hill.

rfrowd
    1965 Grade 5A - 6B

back row far right is Wayne Dennis, teacher is definitely Mr Wiebusch, I had left for Qld by the time this photo was taken.

helen fischer -...
    52 Narracan Avenue

Hi Mr Foster, I was friends with Jenny up until we moved at the end of 1965 (grade 5). I am the one who is your niece Meredithe's friend. I never got over moving away from Yallourn, we moved to Moe and it was soooo different. Yallourn being so picturesque and friendly as you say. If it was still there I would be living there still. Hope to see you soon.
    Helen Fischer (Hender)

Julie George
    52 Narracan Avenue

Hello Mr Foster...You were my Grade 4 teacher in 1963. Helen Hender was just talking about you the other day and your daughters. I've sent you a separate email. Best wishes...Julie George (Francis)

Kevin Brogan
    SECV Admin Staff Retirement - Archie Marshall 1970

The person ??, between Mrs Marshall and Archie Marshall is Bill Huberts. Bill was the Operations Engineer at the time Archie retired.

foster
    52 Narracan Avenue

My wife,Rosemary. (now deceased) and I said on many occasions that our years at Yallourn were amongst the happiest that we spent. I was a primary school teacher, and received an appointment to the Yallourn Primary School, to begin in 1959. We were not able to get a residence in Yallourn at the time, and so we spent some months in Moe. We moved into 52 Narracan Avenue, in May, 1959.We had two daughters, Jenny and Sue, at that time, and in 1964 adopted a baby boy in 1964.
    We were often amazed with the marvellous facilities within the town. Sports grounds aplenty, a
    very good hospital, tree-lined streets which were a riot of colour in the Autumn months, and public gardens many towns would have been very jealous of. Home repairs and improvements were catered for by the S.E.C. which made life easier. But most of all, were the very friendly people, who made one feel welcome.

Wendy Hine
    Bussell

My family of Hine were good friends of John & Betty Bussell. We lived in The Angles. I can recall visiting the Bussell family to watch HER majesty the Queen and Prince Phillip as they drove down Northway in 1954

Wendy Hine
    The Angles - 1925

My home was located in The Angles between 1949 - 1951. I think the number was 15 (next door to Ern Callaway) My family moved to Yallourn from Melbourne when my father took a position with the SEC.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Swimming Pool Opening - 7 Nov 1959

I was in there somewhere - not sure where - but it was a magnifcent day for Yallourn - Lois Gust was Miss Olympics and was selected to go to Rome for the 1960 games - the money that supported her selection was raised in the Town - Lois was part of the Official opening ceremony - Lois was a member of the Yallourn Swimming Club and was one of the Club's top swimmers - back in the 'mud hole' days. It was really good to have a pool back in yallourn as the mud hole had been 'dug up' and the construction of the 'Olympic Pool' had taken a couple of years - so we had to travel to Morwell to have a swim. The opening of the new pool attracted a lot of 'new talent" to the Swimming Club as it was not long after the 1956 games in Melbourne and just prior to the Rome games in 1960. The yallourn swimming Club became the top club in Gippsland and remained so throughout the 60's

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Pauline Tangey
    John Manners

What a great story.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    johnspencer
    John Manners

John (Jack) Manners was my grandfather. He started work with the SEC in the 1920's when the town was still being built. He was originally a blacksmith. Jack loved his fishing, gardening and bowls. He was also known as "Chirp", because he could talk the leg off an iron pot, and "Curly" because he was bald! He lived with us all my life, and passed away in 1994 at the age of 90. By that time the family had moved to Morwell and I was living in Benalla, where I still am. When the family moved to Morwell, he actually got a mate with an SEC frontend loader to move his vegie patch, vegies and all, to the new house in Morwell!

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Boy's Soccer - Under 8 Premiers 1969

The Lyons boys from Hernes Oak, were John (the eldest) and Paul and Norm (Twins).

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    seanmackeown
    Boy's Soccer - Under 8 Premiers 1969

Back row from left, Ian? Major,Michael Hutchinson.
    Front row I think the boy on the right is one of the Lyons boys from HernsOak (Morrie or Morris).

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    seanmackeown
    Yallourn Soccer Club - 1970s YSC

Back row 2nd from left is Peter Romyn, not Howard Ellis.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    seanmackeown
    Yallourn Soccer Club - 1968 YSC

It's Gary Young, not Gerry.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    LindaB
    14 Fernhill

Hi Julie,
    Thank you for posting this. I am a little interested in the plan - you can see in this one the chimney comes out of the centre of the house, not off one end. This is as the kitchen was designed for an electric stove, so there was no need for the chimney to be in common (backing onto) with the open fire in the living room. In this house, the open fire in the living room backs onto the passage. So I am assuming that this house was later than some of the others. Old Gippstown records indicate it was finished on 31 March 1930.

If anyone has the plans for this house, as distinct from the plans showing a wood stove in the kitchen at the back of a living room fireplace, Old Gippstown would be most interested to see a copy. or if anyone knows of any others made to this plan, it would be good to know too. The house is now protected by a Heritage Overlay in the Latrobe City Planning Scheme.

Linda