Recent comments

Pauline Tangey
    Debutants - 1966

Stephen Reed top row extreme left, girl front row, third from right is familiar - one or two years ahead of me (Langmead, I will look at reunions), girl front row second from right looks like Celia Hibbert, but could be too young, Vicki Cullen left school end of 1965, or '66 I think, photo is her, a Kenny (or Parry) on Risinich's left, middle row girl far left Dale Hawken, I'm not sure. Dale left school maybe 1965, '66.

Mary W
    Form 1A

The girl next to Carole Orme is I think, Rhonda McAuliffe. The girl to the left of Calolyn Allen is Rae George. The girl next to Rae is Wendy?

Kevin Brogan
    Debutants - 1966

Back Row (L-R), ?, ?, Ken Stewart, Colin Broberg, Andy Smee (Morwell), Ian Campbell(Morwell), David Ferguson, ?, ?, Martin Junker(Morwell)
    Middle Row(L-R), Dale Hawken, Rod Hawken, Roslyn Risinich, Penny Bowler, Robyn Kenny, Norm Risinich, Sherri McKean, Betty Ashton, ? ?.
    Front Row (L-R), Claire Sagar, Vicki Cullen, Carol Sagar, ?, T.B Jensen, ?, Sandra Prust, ?, Bev Walton, Lee Cooper

Elvira
    Form 1A

Irene is in the 2nd Back row right end.

Elvira
    Form 1A

My name is Elvira and I am Irene Gajek sister she has been missing for 43 years does anyone know of her where abouts. Back row right end.

Julie George
    47 Strzelecki Road

"Official" - not sure what you mean by that Brian?

Brian Handley
    47 Strzelecki Road

Yes that is where i lived allright. Are there any official photos of the house?

Pauline Tangey
    Debutants - 1966

Carol Sagar deb sitting front row third l-r, Langmead! front row third r-l, McLean (blonde), standing right of picture.

Pauline Tangey
    28 Tanjil Crs - Gordon Family

Evening Penny, Were you a student between 1963 - 1968?

Pauline Tangey
    YHS Girls

This photo is not 1962. The photo is 1966 or 1967 at perhaps Yallourn Swimming pool school sports

Pauline Tangey
    YHS Girls at Swimming Sports

This photo is not 1962. It's probably 1966 or 1967, at perhaps Yallourn Swimming school sports.

Pauline Tangey
    Debutants - 1966

Stephen Reed is top row extreme left.

thunderbird7
    28 Tanjil Crs - Gordon Family

Hi Virtual Yallournites. Just some more " neighbours " I remember in Hazelwood Crest. Odds: 3 Taylor, 5 ? , 7 Whitbourne , 9 Snowden (Neil Snowden went on to play goalie during the 90's in our national olympic hockey team) , 11 Tchurlow , 13 Vickory , Lane , 15 Sidebottom , 17 ? ,
    19 ? , 21 Peters , 23 Mounters , then a bit hazy....... Evens: 2 Smith ,
    4 Beel , 6 Gloss , 8 Evans / Lobley , 10 Abery , 12 Parsons , Green Space,
    14 White , 16 ? , 18 ? , 20 Ferguson , 22 ? , 24 ? , 26 Wilson , then the bush. Just discovered the VY site. Have spent all evening working through all the information and just loving all the photos and memorabilia. It's like a giant jigsaw and we are all adding pieces to a fantastic town, place to grow up and childhood memory. Keep it up everyone. Penny van Houts
    ( Gloss ).

bkenny
    Debutants - 1966

i recognise david ferguson (back-row 4th from right) and sandra prost blond to right of chapperone; that would make it 1966

bkenny
    Yallourn Baseball Club

I'm Brian Kenny. I was about 14 or 15 in 1964/65. Was in the YBC for about a season or two. Also played for YHS for years. Was very bad at it, but still luv the game and try to catch the world series on tv when I can

bkenny
    Form 1A

Pieta is dead-right, it's 1961 and I,m the "boy" (Brian Kenny) on the left in the 2nd back row next to Chris Evans - Gee, time-warp!

fran
    Yallourn High School YHS School Play - 1966

Geoff Browitt not Bart Milojevic

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Oscarnia
    5 Boola Crescent

Wow, Dad! This is the plan of our house. Amazing.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Bjgoldy
    60s Woorabinda

Cheryl Wright, Tony Ireland & Mary Waterson

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Bjgoldy
    Form 1A

Girl behind Linda Nutt is Barbara McNair.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    leigh byron
    Norma Oliver

had 2 children Sheryl and Kim both are now up in Qld as is Norma

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    leigh byron
    Byron

Grandad used to live at and run the stables up past the scout hall.

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    billmaxine
    Cougan

Chris,

Firstly apologies although I have 4 daughters until I logged on I had you down as a boy! We look forward to more of your comments, you have captured the thoughts of a lot of Yallourn residents. I was a "blow-in " who went to Yallourn High School. I married a Yallourn girl ( Maxine Humphrey) and both of us miss the chance to show our grandchildren Yallourn. Maxine's mum , Annie (Nan) Humphrey first came to Yallourn and lived in the Western Camp and after her marriage to Max Humphrey moved later to 69 Church Street leaving with their house in 1974 (approx) and moving it to Toongabbie.

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    chris
    Cougan

Dad came to Yallourn in 1949 as part of the post-war workers influx. He had originally arrived in Australia from Scotland and worked for a short time on the Snowy Mountain scheme, but he and a couple of mates had heard of better money and working conditions South, and so they headed for Yallourn. John met Pat Embry at a dance in Hearne's Oak, and the rest as they say, is history. Mum and Dad have been married for over 60 years, and life is still entertaining them. My Grandfather, Wally Embry, had the tenancy of the house and as Pat was the only daughter of the family, she took over the mothering role of her 3 elder brothers and 2 younger brothers, after her mother died in 1946.

From all accounts, the house was always brimming with activity. If having 6 men in the house wasn't enough, there were always friends and neighbours dropping in to see if Mum was coping with the large household. Mum has mentioned many times how Mrs Vincent would pop down the lane and check on things, offering advice on meals and day to day tasks. Mrs Vincent was either a very good teacher, or Mum an excellent pupil, because my memories of growing up in the 50's are of apple pies fresh from the oven, and enormous quantities of preserved fruit from the plum trees we had in the back yard. Mum is certainly an exceptional cook. My only complaint was when she borrowed a meat press from Mrs Spittle (next door) and took up making pressed tongue. I can still see it in my mind today ugh!!!

Mum and Dad lived in Quarry St, Married Quarters for a short time before my brother was born, so it must have been between 1951 - 53. I don't have many memories of those days, but the family photos we have show my Aunty Georgie (Georgie Gilchrist) and my cousin Connie sitting on our front verandah. Georgie and Bill Embry lived in the Married Quarters too, and from all accounts, even though the facilities were limited, there was a great community spirit there. Mum remembers that there was one laundry block situated in the corner of the yard, between 4 houses. Because they were all new marrieds with children, it was necessary to use the laundry on a roster basis. One day was allotted exclusively to each household, and the other days were on a first come, first served basis. As you can imagine, with nappies and boiler suits in the wash, it was necessary to get up with the birds in order to secure the laundry on the free days.

Mum and Dad moved back in with Wally and the boys about 1953, and there we stayed until we left in September 1962. We have lived in Western Australia since 1963, and for all intents and purposes I should regard myself as a Sandgroper, but my heart is still in Yallourn. Silly isn't it? We should all have moved on, but Yallourn pulls at your heart strings, which is why this website is so successful. Thankyou for this opportunity. If you want to hear more, I have more to tell. Did I tell you I'm an Historian? Oh! you groan, doesn't she ever stop??

• 3 years 43 weeks ago