Recent comments

frank widdows
    YTC - 1967 Form 2B

I think it is Robert Vanyai

• 3 years 3 days ago
    Kevin Brogan
    YTC - 1967 Form 2B

"Joseph Vanyai" - is not Joseph, it may be his younger brother. Joe finished his Electrical Engineering at YTC in 1966 and was working in 1967 with the SECV

• 3 years 4 days ago
    frank widdows
    Form 2C

back row 2nd LHS is Daryl Beard

• 3 years 4 days ago
    frank widdows
    Form 3P

2nd back row Greg? is Greg Evans. 2nd back row 4th is not Craig Sutcliffe I think it is Daryl Beard

• 3 years 4 days ago
    frank widdows
    Form 1G

back row 1st lhs is Ken Young

• 3 years 4 days ago
    frank widdows
    YTC - 1967 Form 2B

middle row #2 is John Engel, #3 is John Shankland. Teacher is Mr Satchell?
    front row #6 is Jeff Stredder, #9 surname is Millet

• 3 years 4 days ago
    frank widdows
    53 Banksia Street - house ready for removal demolition

This is 53 Banksia st, it was occupied by Annie Boag. My grandmother.

• 3 years 4 days ago
    angelwings
    Muriel Taylor

children suzanne kaye

• 3 years 4 days ago
    Kevin Brogan
    YPS 1950 - Grade 1

Dawn and Heather Smith are in the front row, not the middle row. They are at the extreme right of the front row

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    36 Railway Avenue

This is different to the house when we lived in it. We had a sleep out attached to my bedroom and we had a kitchenette behind the kitchen wooden stove. Plus it was reversed the lounge being on the left side and parents bedroom on the right.

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    13 The Angles

We lived next door to the Tilson's. Pat and Rick Tilson were the parents, children Richard (my age) Leanne and Vicki. They later moved to Billingsley Court Morwell.

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    Hender

This is my family. Marjorie and Mick Hender. Children - Lorraine, Ken, Ross and Helen
    (me). We lived in Yallourn for about 18 years. First house was Strezlecki Road (before I was born) then we moved to 36 Railway Avenue where I grew up. We moved to Moe in November 1965.

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    YPS 1950 - Grade 1

It is Wally Abery standing next to my sister Lorraine Hender, then the twins

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    Grade 5B

Back row is Johnny Duder (sister Lynette) and my brother Ross Hender, most of the boys used to hang out together when they were older after we moved to Railway Avenue

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    1965 Grade 5A - 6B

Back Row is Phillip Davies
    2nd Back Debra Triplett next to Gail Pittaway and Josie? in between Kromoloff twins and Florella Dory next to Susan Humphries Teacher Mr Wiebush?
    2nd Row Chris Lloyd next to Wayne Tangey
    Front row Rosemary Earle next to Carol Dinsdale

• 3 years 5 days ago
    helen fischer -...
    1965 Grade 5A - 6B

back row Phillip Davies, Dianne Richards, Dean House
    2nd back Debra Triplett next to Gail Pittaway, Josie ? in between Kromoloff twins then Florella Dory
    2nd row Chris Lloyd in between Daryl Beard and Wayne Tangey - teacher Mr Wiebusch?
    front row is Rosemary Earle sitting next to Carol Dinsdale

• 3 years 1 week ago
    Pauline Tangey
    Students on Seat near Oval - 1970

My guess who is in this photo. Far left standing right leg in front of left leg Robyn Kempster, sitting on bench ?Ingravellie or Ruth Bailey, sitting on the back of bench, face shielded Diane Hall, Peter Loftus, did he start school on arrival from England, December 1969), ?, ?, Russell Hawken looking towards bench (he was Year 6, 1968 and 1969), Roger (not Trevor) Dolphin sticking his figure up at camera, I still think boy behind tree is Ralph Harrison, although he left school in 1966, I'm sure he returned after a year off.

• 3 years 1 week ago
    gaynorclare
    Students on Seat near Oval - 1970

Peter is the blonde (white hair) standing in the middle. I think I recognise the Lyon's twins - Paul and Norm and Phillip Davies (Daffy) at the front. I think the guy behind the tree is Mark Hawken and not Russell.

• 3 years 1 week ago
    gaynorclare
    1 Edgehill Road

This was my house in Yallourn from December 1969 until November 1973 when I left Yallourn for the bright lights of Melbourne. My room was the bedroom at the back right of the house. My brother Peter and my sister Cathryn's boyfriend Andrew Barton (who came out from England with us) lived in a two bedroom sleep out, out the back.
    Gaynor Loftus

• 3 years 1 week ago
    Julie George
    Sketch Plan of 30 Southway

Hi Geoff...the house plan we have as being built at 30 Southway is online - number 18R and doesn't look like this one?

• 3 years 1 week ago
    Julie George
    Form 1 in 1971

Hi Graham...you're doing such a good job naming your classmates - how about having a go at this one then? Julie

• 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Graham Peters
    John Field

An excellent but brief biography of "The Brig" is located on the Australian Dictionary of Biography http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A140169b.htm

• 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Graham Peters
    25 Hazelwood Crescent

House plan was reversed as 105L

Subsequently occupied by Cheeseman Family with kids, Jennifer, Ian and Malcolm (twins) and Stuart

• 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Graham Peters
    16 Tanjil Crescent

Richard's comments remind me of the various neighbourhood dogs, particularly the labradors.

The labrador from #10 (I think family was McIntosh) was a villain, but chose to move in with the Williams at #14 (apparently the dog's choice). He had an absolute passion for lemons. My father, Bob Peters, had lovingly nurtured a Meyer Lemon tree that seemed destined never to fruit. Eventually it set a single fruit, low on the tree which dad carefully monitored. Just when ready to pick, the labrador whipped in, stole the lemon (caught in the act) and bolted.

Spike, the Gordon's black labrador from 28 Tanjil, had "form" having bitten several neighbourhood kids. We all carefully avoided him. We used to feed our corgi in a heavy porcelain (Royal Doulton) children's bowl of the variety which used to be used for feeding babies (could not be tipped over easily and too heavy for baby to overturn). After passing down through us three kids, the dog scored it. Spike was an inveterate scrounger and stole the heavy bowl, filled with dog food. Dad caught up with him as he attempted a get-away. As he cleared the low front fence, the bowl hit the ground and shattered, leaving him with a quandary; the dish or the food. He made off with half the bowl still firmly gripped in his mouth. Joe Gordon claimed that it could not have been Spike but the evidence ( a half bowl) was a bit obvious.

Mention of Sandy, the Betts' golden (well sandy coloured) labrador (possibly retriever) suggests that he had multiple visiting places. He spent a lot of time in our kitchen under foot or stretched in front of a radiator. Mrs Betts was not impressed, suspecting that mum was enticing him in by feeding him. There were several "discussions". He was probably just sociable and keen to be around people and other dogs.

Nicky, the Lynch's beagle at #32 was a howler, inclined to serenade the full moon mournfully immediately opposite Rod LeLievre's bedroom window.

The Clarke's shepherd collie cross was genteel in comparison. Richard is right; he was very much his dad's dog.

Looking back, dogs seemed to be a continuing feature of the Reservoir Hill neighbourhood, sometimes with kids, but often just going about their own business. I suspect that the low front fences were an inducement, for all but the smallest animals, to get out and about. I can recall looking out of a classroom window, when in Form 2 at YHS, to see our corgi, Sam, the Holt's Samoyed from #24 Hazelwood Crescent and a couple of other dogs, returning home from an adventure, possibly downtown. Given this was first period, I did wonder what they got up to for the rest of the day.

• 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Graham Peters
    Mounter

Children were Jill and Andrew (Drew)