Recent comments

• 2 years 26 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Merry Christmas to all

Onya Trev - hope you & Kath have a great Christmas and New Year and thanks for your help and support throughout the year. Julie

• 2 years 26 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Merry Christmas to all

Thanks Nashy - see you on the 4th! Have a good and safe Christmas and New Year yourself.

• 2 years 26 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    IMAGES OF YALLOURN - A CHRISTMAS PARTY IN YALLOURN

Looks like it may have been taken in Saint Johns Church of England ,going by the doors back right hand side .6

• 2 years 27 weeks ago
    colin nash
    Merry Christmas to all

Hi Jules,

Merry and safe Christmas to all at YOGA, keep up the good work Jules, see ya in Morwell RSL

Nashy-Noble Park

• 2 years 27 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Merry Christmas to all

Merry Christmas to everyone at Yallourn Assn ,a big thank you to Julie for the work she puts into this page .

• 2 years 27 weeks ago
    Julie Chisholm
    Hiryll Margaret Finlayson

Recently found a painting by Hiryll in a family chest that I was left! It is called The Reluctant Pupil.

• 2 years 32 weeks ago
    JJ Goold
    Ganz

Their children were Peter and Reginald and the dog's name was Rex

• 2 years 39 weeks ago
    Penny Gloss
    Gloss

Hi Michael.
    I have just reloaded into virtualyallourn after a lapse of a couple of years.
    What a nice surprise to see your comment there.
    It was great to hear a little about you.
    I remember the dances well.
    I was so shy with the boys...Arghhh!!
    Much better at exploring the bush and playing hockey.
    A tomboy I guess.
    I went nursing, married, had four children and now 6 grandchildren with another on the way.
    My kids live in Hong Kong, Karratha, Darwin and Morwell.
    Always in the air it seems, visiting.
    I have remarried and live in Bairnsdale.
    Still nursing. Work in the Operating Theatre at the hospital.
    My interests are motorbike riding ( a Triumph ), 4x4 driving, camping, fossicking, caravanning, travelling and of course my grandies.
    I still miss Yallourn and all the fond memories.
    The reunions are excellent when I can get there.
    Might see you at one.
    Fond regards
    Penny

• 2 years 44 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    1971 5 May - SEC Contact Magazine

Always enjoyed reading the Contact , another part of Yallourn gone

• 2 years 46 weeks ago
    JJ Goold
    Teachers

Sorry but this is not 1958. In the centre next to Mrs parson is Keith Hollingsworth and he taught year 12 English commencing 59. I'd say the photo was 1960 or later.

• 2 years 46 weeks ago
    JJ Goold
    Homman

Deputy headmaster YHS - taught years 11 and 12 mathematics

• 2 years 48 weeks ago
    Julie George
    McMahon

Hi Brian
    Thanks for your interesting comments and memories - keep them coming. They all add to the archives.
    Julie

• 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Brian Handley
    McMahon

Prior to McMahon family occupying 72 Strzelecki Road, it was occupied by Collins Family who moved to Central Ave Newborough in the 1950s. Jack Collins worked at Yallourn Railway Station (from memory). He was married to Alice Collins. Children were; Kaye, Jimmy & Jill. Our family were very good friends with Collins family and had at least one shared holiday at Chelsea in the early 1950s. I remember partnering Jill Collins when she made her debut.

• 3 years 6 days ago
    Brian Handley
    Hunt

Mr Hunt was Chairman of the SEC and later General Superintendent of Yallourn. My Mother (Viti Rewa [Rae] Handley) tells the story that she and Dad (Dave Handley) boarded with a Mrs Finn in Narracan Ave (40 Narracan Ave) as there was a shortage of housing after the war. When Mum became pregnant with twins (Ken & Brian), she conjured up enough courage to call on her neighbour a few doors up to see if he might help. Mum knew Mr Hunt came home for lunch each day, so she knocked on door. He invited her in and within days, Mum & Dad were allocated 55 Banksia Street in approx, mid 1947. We later moved to 47 Strezlecki Road in ~1950/51. Thank you Mr Hunt.

• 3 years 4 weeks ago
    jander
    YPS - Grades 1, 2 & 3 - 1977

Front Row (Left) is Leisa Anderson

• 3 years 6 weeks ago
    Mark Griffiths
    Yallourn Football Club YFC - 1944 Premiers

My Father is in the back row 4th in from the left, you have his name as Wilson Griffiths this is incorrect,could this please be changed to Watson Griffiths.

Regards

Mark Griffiths

• 3 years 10 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Reunion 2016

Back Row ? is Jimmy Collins

Middle Row , John Norden, ?, ?, Kevin Spiers (not Mick Kilday), Carol Hunt etc

• 3 years 12 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Reunion 2016

"?" is Deb Ferguson ( Gallagher of State Savings Bank )

• 3 years 13 weeks ago
    billmaxine
    Badminton Club - 1960

Standing far right Alan Robinson seated far right Judith Humphrey

• 3 years 14 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    St John's Church of England Confirmation Class 1954

Front Row Keith White , John Scott ,Trevor Mccoll ,?,?,?, David Sloan ,Bruce Mussard, ?

• 3 years 15 weeks ago
    Cheryl Bourke
    Badminton Club - 1960

(Standing - from left) ?, Peter Griffiths, ? , Bob Bourke, Harold Parkes, ? , Barbara Parkes, ?
    (sitting) - unknown

• 3 years 15 weeks ago
    Cheryl Bourke
    St John's Church of England Confirmation Class 1954

Maxine Bourke far left in photo.

• 3 years 15 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Kindergarten

Hi Julie,
    where do you find these photos? Thank you so much for posting this picture. I don't come onto the site very often but seeing a photo like this makes it so worth while although very strange!- It's like someone has entered my brain. This picture is just....clear and familiar to me and a big part of the childhood I remember.
    Thanks again,
    Sally

• 3 years 15 weeks ago
    billmaxine
    Bill&Maxine Ebbott

In photo description -incorrect date, should be early 1974, was apparently one of the last houses to be shifted before union embargo on removals. Maybe Val Pyers, (a memorable teacher), would also not be happy with the use of to and not in?

• 3 years 16 weeks ago
    Bruce Davey
    Grade 6

Sorry I mabe mistake 3rd row , 3rd from left is not Bruce Davey it is Michael Collins
    Also top row 2nd from left is Kevin Gould and 3rd is John Wilson