Recent comments

• 3 years 29 weeks ago
    Kathy Harrison
    1 Parkway

We lived next door to the Zwankhuizen's from 1961 to 1968, they had two sons the eldest was Karl and he had flaming red hair. I remember the father was a brilliant gardener and grew all of his own fruit and vegies. The block seemed very large, but I have very few memories that of a small child.

• 3 years 29 weeks ago
    Kathy Harrison
    Charleston

They had four children, two sons and two daughters.
    The boys names escape me but the older daughter's name is Diane and the youngest child who was adopted was named Lyndy.
    Both Lyndy and her Dad are now buried in the cemetery in the Latrobe valley.
    Lyndy had 5 children, Jason, Trudy, Benjamin and two other boys I have forgotten their names. She died of cancer in 2004 at age 48.
    We traced her birth mother who also died young of cancer in her thirties and Lyndy's daughter Trudy may also have the gene that causes this early death.

• 3 years 29 weeks ago
    Kathy Harrison
    Grades 1B + 1C

2nd row from the back fourth child in from the left is me. Kathy Harrison. Third row from the back fourth child in was my friend Ian Jardine. The girl sitting at the front holding the sign I think her name was Jacqueline?

• 3 years 30 weeks ago
    apfoley
    8 Tanjil Crescent

My father Peter lived at 8 Tanjil Cres. Aubrey was his older brother. The Foley's living there would have been Roy (my Grandfather), Rita (my Grandmother), Maureen, Barry, Lorraine, Aubrey, Peter & Beverley. My father bought what was one of the first TVs in the area for my Grandmother to watch the 1956 Olympics. My father later returned to live in Yallourn in Parkway opposite the pool with my mother (Pam) and two children (Alister and Michael).

• 3 years 33 weeks ago
    geepee
    Rose Brewer

Married Eric Withers. They had 3 Daughters.
    Joyce: married Hugh Crawley: 2 sons: Ian and Neil
    Verna: married Russell Puckridge: 2 sons: Geoff and Peter
    Ena: married Henry Butler: 2 daughters: Karen and Julie

• 3 years 35 weeks ago
    doublecat
    17 Fairfield Avenue

My grandparents, Charles Frederick Mullen and Ethel Francis Mullen lived at 17 Fairfield Ave, Yallourn in 1936. My father wrote this on the back of a photo of them standing on the verandah.

• 3 years 35 weeks ago
    doublecat
    Eric Johnstone

Photo of Eric Johnstone on left. The man on the right was the best man at Eric's wedding but his name is unknown.

• 3 years 35 weeks ago
    doublecat
    6 Meadow Lane

The Yallourn Cycle Club prepared a float for a parade in Yallourn in the early 1960s in the driveway of 6 Meadow Lane Yallourn. Both Robert and William Johnstone were track and road racing cyclists and Eric Johnstone was a keen organiser and supporter for the club.

• 3 years 35 weeks ago
    doublecat
    6 Meadow Lane

This photograph of snow falling in Yallourn was taken from the front verandah of 6 Meadow Lane, Yallourn in the 60s I think. The house in the photo is where Mrs Warren lived and the two story house on the left was where the Hilditchs lived.

• 3 years 38 weeks ago
    Julie George
    1959 February-March - SEC Journal

Glad to be of service - that makes it all worthwhile - happy customers! We move into the 1960s this week.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    1959 February-March - SEC Journal

Thank you looking through this I found out my Grandfather Jack Ebsworth Retired on the 21march 1959 after joining the S E C in 1923

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Debutant Ball with Jim McAdam and Austin Lynch

The Man with the Glasses on the right is Jim Balfour the Member for Parliament.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association

YWCA stands for Young Women's Christian Group - YMCA is the male version

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Julie George
    YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association

Helen - what did YWCA stand for?

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association

Mavis Howell on the left

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Brigadier John Field - Gippsland Newspapers Special Edition - mid 1970s

What a great read Jules!!! We had Monash (blue) and Field (yellow) houses at Yallourn State School!

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    Julie George
    John Field

An excellent but brief biography of "The Brig" is located on the Australian Dictionary of Biography http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A140169b.htm

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    1946 August - SEC Magazine

Hey Jules - Is that the copy of my Dad's mag??? dated my birthday!!! (not 1946 of course ha ha!!)

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    House Removal

Not Sure, but it was taken by Tom Adams.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn Swimming Club by Arthur Brogan (circa 1991) and footnote by Kevin Brogan (2015)

Hi Helen - this is still a 'work in progress' - Kevin is updating it to include the 1960s. Also to come shortly are all the SEC Contact Magazines mostly from the 1970s but some also from 1960s and 1980s so stay tuned.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...

What a very interesting article!!! and the original photos of the Latrobe river swimming pool is amazing - what a pity it got swept away. Was great to see the photo of the 1960's swimming club a lot of well known names and faces there! Plus you Moe info Kevvy about "Cookie" the policeman and Larsens Jewellers connection. (you should write more articles you are a wealth of information!!!!)

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Debutants - 1969

Nice photo Pauline!!!

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Pauline Goss
    Debutants - 1969

I am on the right middle row and my partner was Gordon Cook

• 3 years 45 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Paul Steele, Andrew McStay, Ralf Arndt & Wolfgant Arndt - 1960s

Thanks Helen - have fixed. Can you try opening the SEC Contact Magazine and let me know if it works OK.

• 3 years 45 weeks ago