Recent comments

• 3 years 36 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn Technical School College YTS YTC

An early carpentry class.

• 3 years 36 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Golf Club

I think this picture is at Yallourn Golf Club - the "Bowl" that is referred to is actually a term Lady Golfers used for a competition involving teams from various Golf Clubs. The Men played for a "Plate" eg. The Yallourn Plate, the Ladies Play for a Bowl. The Lady in the white may be Jean Donnet.

• 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    12 Westbrook Road

Mr Hydes name was Len , he was a painter at the municipal Depot

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    hydetft
    Jean Fox (Hattam) & Max Fox

Thank you both for a great story.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Inge Meldgaard
    Nine Naturalised including Nyeboer, Fook, Franssen, Rubino, Weisshuhn, Cabion, Zambellas

My parents were good friends with the Nyeboer family and we were sometimes treated to a Dutch-Indonesian dinner by Lily, so it's marvellous to see this article, and fascinating to read the sentiments expressed...a different era.

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Stories from YOGA Newsletters: Marjorie Dickson (Ebsworth) Jan 2002 - Yallourn Buses

Well looks like him Julie ,know he was a bus driver at Yallourn .

• 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Julie George

Hi Trev - so is this Peter Dickson in this photo do you know (I'll remove the word 'possibly' if it is)?

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll

Peter Dickson was my uncle ,he married my Mums Sister Marg Ebsworth .

• 3 years 41 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Buses and driver Peter Dickson

Peter Dickson was my uncle . he married my Mums sister Marg .

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    82 Church St - Vivian Family

The house in the background was occupied by John 'Jumbo' James and family during the period we occupied 82 Church St. from 1966 until 1972. I remember John had a horse in a paddock over and up the road from the end of Church St. Our very young kids loved to go there with the older James children.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Hail storm for Yallourn in 1966

I remember this event very well. My wife Therese had given birth to our first child Catherine Bell on 20th December 1966 at the Yallourn Hospital. I arrived a few days later and parked our Volkswagon Sedan in the car park. As I was walking from the car the rain increased.
    I quickly went to Tess's room and almost immediately the window beside her bed broke and the curtain whoosed inside horizontally.
    The light outside was quite darkened but I could see these enormous balls of hail through the gloom.
    Tess thankfully was OK.
    Later I looked outside to the car park and saw the (amalgamated) hailstones, some definitely as big as cricket balls, bouncing off the car park and the car roofs. Fortunately our VW 'beetle' suffered only barely noticeable and very small dents and did not require repair. Some other vehicles such as station wagons with much thinner and flatter roofs were not so lucky.
    However the major damage for this storm were the gaps in home roofing. I seem to recall some power line damage also but I'm not sure of that now.
    Tess recall's that the event occurred on Christmas Day. I thought it may have been the day before, but Tess's recollection must be correct as it is supported by other evidence.

Please refer to found by web search for "Hail Storm Yallourn Vic 1966" which, in part, provides the following: -
    "[ Jane G 04/04/2008
    Hi All,
    I have been contacted by a reader of my website who is seeking information regarding a severe weather event she experienced. I couldn't find anything in Google, and hope that someone might be able to point her/me in the right direction.

The event occurred on Christmas Day in 1965 OR 1966. She was living near Yallourn in the Latrobe Valley at the time. This is how she described it:

"We had the usual very hot Christmas Day. Being one of 8 children it was our ritual to play cricket on the front lawn in the afternoon. I recall my father standing on the front verandah, looking beyond us on the front lawn to the western hills yelling “Game over! Everyone inside NOW!” Looking over my shoulder we all gasped as we saw this huge & low licorice coloured cloud rolling towards us. We secured all windows and doors and took refuge in the central hallway with all connecting doors closed.

The banging started, followed by the sounds of smashing glass as the cricket ball sized hail stones battered our house. It was terrifying as the ice bounced off concrete paths, only to spring up and smash windows."

I've suggested she may like to get in contact with Historical Societies in the area, or perhaps try the newspaper archives in the State Library. I don't know if the Bureau have online archives going back that far. Can anyone suggest anything else?
    Cheers,. . .Jane G. ]"

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Unknown Photo

Possibly flooding has washed away soil/sand from rail supports.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Main office 1925 - maybe payday queue?

Are this group waiting for the arrival of their leaders before a group photo is taken? - perhaps. RjB

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Group unknown outside Main Office 1920s

All people in this group have name tags. Is Sir John Monash, who died in 1931, among them I wonder.
    Is there a large-size photo, possibly hanging or stored away somewhere, I wonder.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    Sue Duxbury
    State Savings Bank - Decimal Currency Conversion Day - 14 Feb 1966 - Susan Duxbury; Doug Prestidge (in background)

14th February 1966 - Decimal Currency Conversion Day at the State Savings Bank in Yallourn.
    Bank doors were closed for the day and the staff were allowed 'free dress' while they converted all the savings, cheque and business accounts to decimal currency.
    L - R Sue Hinkley (nee Duxbury), Nola Grieve, Teller - George Dibsdale standing in front of the Boroughs accounting machine (pre computer days) counting the notes. Doug Prestige in the background.

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Yallourn Navy Cadets - mid 60s

6 in at back Peter Fitzgerald

• 3 years 42 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Yallourn Navy Cadets - mid 60s

Peter Fitzgerald 6 in at back

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Inge Meldgaard
    Brownies Camp, Guide House at Yarra Junction 1963

I may have the year wrong on this one - might be 1963 actually - anyone know?
    Top row: second from left, me (Inge Lerche), then Sandra Lee
    Second top row: far left, Joan Ashmead

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Tibballs

(Oh, Mrs Tibballs not Mrs Tibbles.)
    it is likely the 1968 Yallourn preschool class photo that has been posted on this website with the teacher, shows the above mentioned Mrs Tibballs.
    Amy Tibballs is also mentioned on page 43 and page 197 in the book; 'Digging People Up For Coal, by Meredith Fletcher. Melbourne University Press 2002. Page 197 talks about when Mrs Amy Tibballs used to play piano at many kindergarten and school breakups...

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Shops viewed from Rockmans Crossing - 1970's

Haha...indeed!

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    colin nash
    Shops viewed from Rockmans Crossing - 1970's

where are The Beatles?

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Lobley

From memory there were 4 Lobley children living at number 8 Hazelwood cres. A John, perhaps a daughter Donna, a daughter Cindy and ? Our family's memory must be a bit confused because we believed that the father's name was Murray and the son's name was John but from the information on the 'Family in Tenancy 'cards it appears the father/husband was John. My mum commented that my father used to go to work with Murray Lobley (who lived next door to us) sometimes...
    Perhaps there were 2 different Lobley families who lived at number 8!

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Trent

The Trents were our neighbours. Kids all played together. Bill and Joan were the parents and John and Stewart their sons.

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Yallourn Primary School YPS - a prep class 1969

Back row, far right I believe is Rory,
    Middle row, third from left is David Capon. Middle row, far right is Stuart Barton.

• 3 years 43 weeks ago
    Sally Barton
    Yallourn Primary School YPS Grade 2 1971

Back row?
    Second back row?
    Third from the back row, on the far left (with glasses) is Stuart Barton. Standing to his right (2nd from the left) is David Capon. Others?