Recent comments

• 3 years 47 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    St John's Curch of England - Choir

Bill King was a member of the choir .

• 3 years 47 weeks ago
    Valerie Wilden
    St John's Curch of England - Choir

I made my confirmation at St Johns I was sure that Bill King my Uncle was in the choir

• 3 years 47 weeks ago
    Lyn Wilden
    Dorothy Biggs

This is my Aunty who was my father's sister. She was previously married to John Farruj (not sure of the spelling). They had two daughters Betty and Verna and they lived at 17 Fernhill

• 3 years 49 weeks ago
    Lyn Wilden
    Yallourn High School Girls at the Swimming Pool - 28 Feb 1968

Girl at back left is Lynette Wilden not Wendy Sestokas. All other names are correct. TB

• 3 years 49 weeks ago
    helen fischer -...
    Broadway

These last 6 photos or Yallourn are the saddest! - it just pulls at your heartstrings!!!!

• 3 years 49 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    SECV Electrical Maintenance Section (Coal Production) Yallourn

Thanks Kevin . He was a nice bloke.

• 3 years 50 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    SECV Electrical Maintenance Section (Coal Production) Yallourn

Hi Trevor, that's Dick Garrity. He lived in Hernes Oak and was the Stores Run Driver

• 3 years 50 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    SECV Electrical Maintenance Section (Coal Production) Yallourn

Middle row third from right wearing the hat and a belt around his overalls was the Driver cannot remember his name he used to come to the Main store (where I Worked) with Bob Mcnair

• 3 years 50 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    SECV Electrical Maintenance Section (Coal Production) Yallourn

This Photo was most likely taken in late 1969, or 1970. I also worked with this Group up until late 1969, prior to moving to Yallourn Briquette Factory. The Group is the Electrical Maintenance Section (Coal Production Yallourn). The Electrical Maintenance Superintendent was Paul Pearson ( kneeling 3rd form the right). Other people that I recognise in the Picture (will put them in Order later) are - Linton Planner, Bob Moritz, George Kimberley, Eric Hansen, Jack Eaves, Bob McNair, Mick James, Bod Crookston, Vin Martin, Dick Cannot, Dick Garrity, Nino Tabone, Bill Broekstra, Egon Hoffman, Evan Jorgenson & Alan (Gordon) Nutt. Hopefully more names will come to mind soon.

• 3 years 50 weeks ago
    Julie George
    Yallourn Technical School College YTS YTC

An early carpentry class.

• 3 years 50 weeks ago
    Kevin Brogan
    Yallourn Golf Club

I think this picture is at Yallourn Golf Club - the "Bowl" that is referred to is actually a term Lady Golfers used for a competition involving teams from various Golf Clubs. The Men played for a "Plate" eg. The Yallourn Plate, the Ladies Play for a Bowl. The Lady in the white may be Jean Donnet.

• 4 years 1 week ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    12 Westbrook Road

Mr Hydes name was Len , he was a painter at the municipal Depot

• 4 years 2 weeks ago
    hydetft
    Jean Fox (Hattam) & Max Fox

Thank you both for a great story.

• 4 years 2 weeks ago
    Inge Meldgaard
    Nine Naturalised including Nyeboer, Fook, Franssen, Rubino, Weisshuhn, Cabion, Zambellas

My parents were good friends with the Nyeboer family and we were sometimes treated to a Dutch-Indonesian dinner by Lily, so it's marvellous to see this article, and fascinating to read the sentiments expressed...a different era.

• 4 years 2 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Stories from YOGA Newsletters: Marjorie Dickson (Ebsworth) Jan 2002 - Yallourn Buses

Well looks like him Julie ,know he was a bus driver at Yallourn .

• 4 years 2 weeks ago
    Julie George

Hi Trev - so is this Peter Dickson in this photo do you know (I'll remove the word 'possibly' if it is)?

• 4 years 3 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll

Peter Dickson was my uncle ,he married my Mums Sister Marg Ebsworth .

• 4 years 3 weeks ago
    Trevor Mccoll
    Buses and driver Peter Dickson

Peter Dickson was my uncle . he married my Mums sister Marg .

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    82 Church St - Vivian Family

The house in the background was occupied by John 'Jumbo' James and family during the period we occupied 82 Church St. from 1966 until 1972. I remember John had a horse in a paddock over and up the road from the end of Church St. Our very young kids loved to go there with the older James children.

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Hail storm for Yallourn in 1966

I remember this event very well. My wife Therese had given birth to our first child Catherine Bell on 20th December 1966 at the Yallourn Hospital. I arrived a few days later and parked our Volkswagon Sedan in the car park. As I was walking from the car the rain increased.
    I quickly went to Tess's room and almost immediately the window beside her bed broke and the curtain whoosed inside horizontally.
    The light outside was quite darkened but I could see these enormous balls of hail through the gloom.
    Tess thankfully was OK.
    Later I looked outside to the car park and saw the (amalgamated) hailstones, some definitely as big as cricket balls, bouncing off the car park and the car roofs. Fortunately our VW 'beetle' suffered only barely noticeable and very small dents and did not require repair. Some other vehicles such as station wagons with much thinner and flatter roofs were not so lucky.
    However the major damage for this storm were the gaps in home roofing. I seem to recall some power line damage also but I'm not sure of that now.
    Tess recall's that the event occurred on Christmas Day. I thought it may have been the day before, but Tess's recollection must be correct as it is supported by other evidence.

Please refer to found by web search for "Hail Storm Yallourn Vic 1966" which, in part, provides the following: -
    "[ Jane G 04/04/2008
    Hi All,
    I have been contacted by a reader of my website who is seeking information regarding a severe weather event she experienced. I couldn't find anything in Google, and hope that someone might be able to point her/me in the right direction.

The event occurred on Christmas Day in 1965 OR 1966. She was living near Yallourn in the Latrobe Valley at the time. This is how she described it:

"We had the usual very hot Christmas Day. Being one of 8 children it was our ritual to play cricket on the front lawn in the afternoon. I recall my father standing on the front verandah, looking beyond us on the front lawn to the western hills yelling “Game over! Everyone inside NOW!” Looking over my shoulder we all gasped as we saw this huge & low licorice coloured cloud rolling towards us. We secured all windows and doors and took refuge in the central hallway with all connecting doors closed.

The banging started, followed by the sounds of smashing glass as the cricket ball sized hail stones battered our house. It was terrifying as the ice bounced off concrete paths, only to spring up and smash windows."

I've suggested she may like to get in contact with Historical Societies in the area, or perhaps try the newspaper archives in the State Library. I don't know if the Bureau have online archives going back that far. Can anyone suggest anything else?
    Cheers,. . .Jane G. ]"

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Unknown Photo

Possibly flooding has washed away soil/sand from rail supports.

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Main office 1925 - maybe payday queue?

Are this group waiting for the arrival of their leaders before a group photo is taken? - perhaps. RjB

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Robin BELL
    Group unknown outside Main Office 1920s

All people in this group have name tags. Is Sir John Monash, who died in 1931, among them I wonder.
    Is there a large-size photo, possibly hanging or stored away somewhere, I wonder.

• 4 years 4 weeks ago
    Sue Duxbury
    State Savings Bank - Decimal Currency Conversion Day - 14 Feb 1966 - Susan Duxbury; Doug Prestidge (in background)

14th February 1966 - Decimal Currency Conversion Day at the State Savings Bank in Yallourn.
    Bank doors were closed for the day and the staff were allowed 'free dress' while they converted all the savings, cheque and business accounts to decimal currency.
    L - R Sue Hinkley (nee Duxbury), Nola Grieve, Teller - George Dibsdale standing in front of the Boroughs accounting machine (pre computer days) counting the notes. Doug Prestige in the background.

• 4 years 4 weeks ago