Lt Horace Lynch was demobilised from the Australian Army in January 1920, after serving in Gallipoli & the Western Front for 4 years. He returned home to Broken Hill, where he completed his Engineering Apprentice ship with Zinc Corporation. Horace's father & J M Bridge, the first Yallourn General Superintendent, both worked at Zinc Corporation. In 1922, Horace accepted a Maintenance Engineering position in the Yallourn Coal Supply Department, hence he was one of the original engineers employed by the SECV. After living in the Single Men's Quarters, he married Mary Wilson & moved into 12 Maiden Street as it's first tenants in 1923. The Lynch's subsequently lived at 24 & 32 Hillside, finally leaving in 1957 after 35 years of Yallourn residency. Daughter Josephine arrived in 1927 just after the Lynch's had moved to 24 Hillside. Horace had various roles in Yallourn Coal Supply/Production with his final one being that of Coal Production Superintendent. Subsequently, Horace was made the Morwell Coal Production Superintendent with responsibility for the development of the new Morwell Open Cut. This is the position he retired from in 1957, after 35 years with the SECV. The photo is of Horace Lynch (left) & another SECV engineer, Mr Rusden, at a drain in the Yallourn Open Cut area. It must have been wet as they are wearing boots with the suits!