Rifle Club

Yallourn Rifle Club was officially opened on 12 April 1930 - President JM Bridge, Vice-Presidents RD Dixon, RA Hunt, W Brewer, C Boehm, G Dixon-Brown and T Evans, Secretary RC Saunders, Treasurer A Wyatt, Captain JT Garvin and Vice-captain A Lawrence.

The Rifle Club became one of the most successful clubs in Australia. In 1951, the Club had three members in the State team of eight – Fred Farmer, Jim Garvin and Allan Schroeder. The range was closed in 1953 because the danger area encroached on Coach Road, the final shoot being held on 25th July. The Yallourn Club shot at the Moe Rifle Range until July 1964 when it was disbanded, its assets and members transferring to the Moe Rifle Club.

12th October 1963, Jim died at home. The “Live Wire” reported:
Death of Jim Garvin
Rifleman left worthy legacy. One of Australia’s outstanding riflemen, James T Garvin, left behind a legacy of achievements and sportsmanship when he died suddenly at his home on Saturday, October 12. Jim was 58 and at the time of his death was Superintendent of the Yallourn Open Cut. He joined the State Electricity Commission as a draftsman more than 37 years ago. During the Second World War, Jim saw service in the Pacific Area with the RAAF holding the rank of Flight Lieutenant as an engineer surveyor in an airfield construction squadron. Jim was possibly best known for his exploits as a rifle shot. His ability and initiative in administration was also widely acclaimed throughout Australia. He followed in the footsteps of his father, also a remarkable rifle shooter. In the famed Commonwealth Rifle Matches, Jim represented Victoria three times – in Tasmania (1949), New South Wales (1950) and Western Australia (1951). He won many aggregates and trophies and his outstanding sportsmanship earned him admiration and respect wherever he went. As an administrator, Jim had an imposing record. Foundation member of the Yallourn Rifle Club in 1930, he was also captain for many years. Jim was the driving force behind the restoration of the Yallourn Rifle Range in 1947 after it had been burnt out by disastrous fires a few years earlier. A committee man of the Central and West Gippsland Rifle Club’s Union from 1930 to 1949, Jim was elected secretary in 1949 and served until 1952. He returned to the committee as well as accepting the roll of handicapper. In 1954, he was elected Vice-president of the Union and held that post for several years. On Tuesday last, October 15th, a service was held in the Yallourn Presbyterian Church, before the funeral proceeded to Springvale Crematorium. Many of Jim’s workmates, firm friends and shooting comrades from many parts of Gippsland paid their last tributes. The four casket bearers were all captains of rifle clubs - Messrs Alan K Schroeder (Yallourn), Harry King (Rosedale), Fred C Jones (Warragul-Drouin) and Bill G Brealey (Moe-Trafalgar). The eight pall-bearers were also riflemen including Mr Bill M McIndoe, Gippsland Council member for the Victoria Rifle Association.

Related content
Back references from Relationship in Photo for Group: Rifle Club
Titlesort icon Photo Description Relationship
Victorian Rifle Club Ass. - 1950 Rifle Club
Yallourn Rifle Club - Allan Schroeder Rifle Club
Yallourn Rifle Club Markers - 1949

Left - Right: Bob Garvin, George Fullwood, Ian Broberg + Lloyd Chudleigh

Rifle Club
Yallourn Rifle Club Members - 1949

Left - Right: Syd Broberg, Noel Kingsley, Jim Garvin, Ward Boag & Alan Schroeder

Rifle Club